The Chase for the Title Has Begun
Key figures and information of the championships first day
- 99 Teams – 198 Sailors
- 28 Countries
- 6 Continents
- Irregular gusty wind between 3 and 20 knots in the morning
- Sea Breeze of 10-13 knots in the afternoon
- All sailors are U23, so none can turn 23 years old in 2018
The title chase has begun…
The competitors are ready, so are the boats – preparation complete for the Junior Worlds. Except for Aeolus, the wind god, who was shy in the morning, but grew more confident by 1 pm enabling the competitors to sail in great conditions.
The fights have begun on this first day at the Youth Worlds. After more than a 2-hour delay because of the lack of wind, the 49ers were the first ones to set sail at about 1pm, while the 49ers FX and the Nacra17 were waiting for their signal. The 49ers were divided in 2 fleets, they raced 2 lap race with an irregular and fluctuating south-easterly wind, from 3 to 17 knots.
At about 3pm their day was done, they went back ashore, it was time for the 49erFX and Nacra17. Then the wind got stronger to stabilize between 10 and 15 knots, and south-southwesterly. All together 2 laps were run for each class.
With a light wind all 3 series met and familiarized with this future Olympic scene. As for the French teams they managed to play their best and are ranked 1st and 3rd in the 49ers category.
This first day has been promising, the fleet appears to be relatively compact, all competitors are at their best.
We have met Enzo Lobry, competitors from the YCPR (organizing club), currently in 3rd position…
“This position is really something positive for our team. Louis, my helmsman, and I knew that sailing here would be a real asset for us, we know the bay like the back of our hand, but we hadn’t even dreamed of being 3rd at the end of the first day, this is really promising! We will keep being at the front and hopefully we will do our best throughout the regatta.”
- Tim Mourniac & Virgil Aubriot (FRA)
- Bart Lambriex & Scipio Houtman (NED)
- Enzo Lobry & Louis Chambet (FRA)
- Lucy Wilmot & NathaHousberg (USA)
- Vilma Bobeck & Malin Tengström (SWE)
- Keanu Prettner & Niklas Haberl (AUT)
- Gianluigi UGOLINI & Maria GIUBILEI (ITA)
- Tayla RIETMAN & Lachlan WHITE (AUS)
- Javier ARRIBAS HARTEN & Adriana BARRON (PER)