49erFX: Scandinavians deliver while the leaders falter
On the penultimate day of gold fleet racing, after a brief postponement the 49erFX gold were up first in the harbour course, to battle in the light winds for positioning going into the medal race. It was a day for the Scandinavians to shine, with the Danes having led from the left to round in 1st and 3rd at the top mark and the Swedes in 2nd and 4th. The young Swedes dropped back to third by the finish, while the Poles moved through the fleet to second, and the Danish team of Schütt/Nielsby were able to stay on top and take the win. The top five from the overall leaderboard in the morning were all super-deep in the race, with most sailing their throwout in the first race.
Race 2 say the other Danes learn from their team mates and their own fourth position in race 1, to replicate the pin end and left side favour to round at the top mark in first and run away with the win. The young Swedes Bobeck/Tengstrom were again in the fight, finishing third while the Finnish climbed through the race up to 2nd place. Again many of the top boats were deep in the fleet, which allowed the Swedes to jump up from 6th in the morning to third overall heading into the medal race.
Regatta leaders, the Brazilians Grael and Kunze, followed their 11th in race one with a 21st in race two, but still lead overall by 19 points. Behind them the Dutch Bekkering/Duetz also had their worst day with a 23, 11 but still sit second overall. For them, it is all to play for tomorrow to stay top 3 overall, which they need to do if they’re to win the Olympic spot for the Netherlands qualification system, since their NED competitors are now out of the running for the medal race. The young Swedes, Bobeck and Tengström, have really proven they are a force to be reckoned with and rising stars in the fleet, nailing the light airs today as well as the breeze earlier this week to sit only 6 points back in third overall, but tied with the Norwegians on points. The Kiwis had a difficult day to drop to 5th, but still in the hunt for the medals along with Denmark’s Nielsen/Olsen, who won the day with their 4,1.
It was a huge day of shuffling on the scoreboard, and Sunday will be a contentious battle among all the fleets, particularly for the crowning of the ‘European’ Champions. Make sure in the 49erFX to keep an eye on NED’s Bekkering/Duetz battle for their Olympic spot, and on the rising young gun Swedes for whether they can perform when the pressure is really on.
Wednesday 8 May 1700 Beach Clean
Monday 13 May 1055 Qualifying Races
Tuesday 14 May 1055 Qualifying Races
Wednesday 15 May 1055 Qualifying Races
Thursday 16 May 1055 Fleet Races
Friday 17 May 1055 Fleet Races
Saturday 18 May 1055 Fleet Races
Sunday 19 May 0955 Fleet Races
1500 Medal Races
TBC Prize giving
49er & 49erFX – https://49er.org/event/2019-european-championship/#photos
Nacra 17 – https://nacra17.org/events/2019-european-championship-2/#photos
- From May 16-19 a live show including coverage of the racing will be broadcast via the 49er class Youtube channel and the Nacra 17 class Youtube channel. The presenters are Genny Tulloch, Andy Rice, Stevie Morrison, and Hannah Mills.
1. 49er Sailing – Gold Fleet Day 1 – 2019 Volvo European Championship
2. 49er Sailing – Gold Fleet Day 2 – 2019 Volvo European Championship
3. 49er Sailing – Gold Fleet Day 3 – 2019 Volvo European Championship
4. 49er Sailing – Gold Fleet Day 4 – 2019 Volvo European Championship
5. 49er Sailing – Medal Races – 2019 Volvo European Championship
Results will be posted race by race, as they happen
- 49er https://49er.org/event/2019-european-championship/#49erresults
- 49erFX https://49er.org/event/2019-european-championship/#49erfxresults
- Nacra 17 https://nacra17.org/events/2019-european-championship-2/#results
- Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy, Osprey Quay, Portland, Dorset, DT5 1SA