Next Up - and Out
The 2017 European Championship for the 49er, 49erFX and Nacra 17 is set to begin tomorrow, Sunday July 30.
This will be the first event for the full foiling Nacra 17 since it evolved from its original C foil configuration to the Full Foil configuration, ushering in a new era of Olympic sailing. The first boats were delivered to the sailors only 3 weeks ago, so this regatta is going to be full on, particularly if we get some strong breeze. No doubt, for the sailors it will be all about figuring out how to handle this new configuration on a race course. So far foiling in straight lines and flat water has proven stable and quick, but multiple manoeuvers, racing tactics and pressure as well as other boats to avoid will be sure to challenge the fleet. Exciting times ahead!
For the 49er and 49erFX, a new generation seek to establish themselves in the Classes that the pro teams at the America’s Cup and Volvo Ocean Race cannot get enough of. With Outteridge and Burling “recovering” at the from their America’s Cup efforts, and with Grael and Echegoyen preparing for their upcoming Volvo Ocean Race gigs, there are plenty of ambitious teams looking to fill the podium positions. It’s been many years since a Burling, an Outteridge or a Martinez has been absent from a Championship, so we are guaranteed a few new faces atop the podium.
Qualifying begins at 11am (Central European Time) starting with the 49erFX and Full Foiling Nacra 17, followed by the 49er and Nacra 17 C-Board division.
Join us at 11am for the Adidas Daily show, live on http://fb.com/49ersailing. The guest list for Day 1 features World Sailing President, Kim Andersen, talking about the bigger picture of sailing at the Olympics, and a preview of the regatta with host, Alan Block and Class Manager, Ben Remocker.
Please be sure to LIKE the Nacra17/49er/FX Facebook Pages, 49er Sailing, Nacra 17 Sailing, for the best way to be notified of new photos, videos, and live streams from the European Championship. Don’t forget to tune in to the 49er Facebook Page 1100 CET each day for our live Morning Show, featuring previews, analysis and guest interviews from Kiel.
If you love watching live racing, the real fun begins on Wednesday, when you can watch live streamed racing action from the water, complete with professional commentary, tracking, and much more. You’ll find the live notifications via our alerts if you sign up.
– Centralized site for interviews, photos, results, articles and other regatta documentation.
Live Broadcasts of Gold Fleet and Finals, August 2-4.
– From 11am CET head to our YouTube channel, http://youtube.com/49ersailing or the Class Facebook pages.
– August 2 and 3 will see us covering gold fleet racing, with 20 boats for the 49er and 49erFX, and 24 boats for the Foiling Nacra 17.
– August 4 will see us covering the finals. Each fleet will have 3 ‘theatre style’ races to determine the European Champions.
– Our live broadcast will have a drone camera, sideline camera, on board cameras, and a virtual environment. Combined with the best fleet racing our aim is to engage you with some spectacular world class sailing!
Adidas Daily Shows
– Get to know the personalities behind the circuit and all the background to these Classes.
– Hosted by Alan Block, we’ll cover the future stars, the seasoned vets, and give you a preview of what’s ahead for the day.
– Live on facebook @49ersailing @nacra17sailing from 11am CET
SAP Sailing Analytics
– Follow along with the gold fleets via sapsailing.com. There will be live tracking, race replay, and SAP sailing analytics for all gold fleet and finals races on days 4, 5, and 6 of the Event.
– Sailing Energy will provide daily photo albums best viewed through the event websites or Class facebook pages.
YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
Day 0 – Practice race and Opening Ceremony – July 29
Day 1 – Qualification for 49er and 49erFX, extra practice race for Nacra 17 – July 30
Days 2-3 – Qualification for 49er and 49erFX, Fleet Racing for Full Foiling and C-Board Nacra 17 – July 31-Aug 1
Day 4-5 – Gold Fleet for 49er and 49erFX, Fleet Racing for Full Foiling and C-Board Nacra 17 – Aug 2-3
Day 6 – Theatre Final for Foiling Nacra 17, 49er,and 49erFX – Aug 4